Sunday, March 10, 2013

Cars Cupcake Birthday Cake

This year for my son's 3rd birthday he wanted a "car" birthday cake.  When I used Google Images to looks at different option with him it became quite clear he wanted a "Cars" birthday cake and anyone would do.  Knowing that I was going to use cupcakes, we settled on a dirt track with cars on it.  I think it could have been any cake with a 'Cars' character on it and he would have been happy.

I put my cupcakes as close together trying to achieve an oval shape, then used a white 1" ribbon wrapped around to hold them together.


The one that that I didn't do that I learned was a mistake, was to secure the cupcakes to the base.  They just slid as a group and I didn't realize this until it was a little to late to solve the problem.

Sorry it was late when I was trying to finish the cake and get it hidden for the next day, so the pictures are a little lacking and I had to use a really shallow focus in order to get enough light.

Anyway frost the cupcakes like they are one unit, just making sure that the frosting is think enough to hold and not just fall through the gaps between the cupcakes.  I used green since I knew that I would be piping on green grass to top it off. 

My race track was crushed up oreo's, with the 'walls' being just a part of the oreo.  Once I scrapped off the cream, I just used my frosting spatula to score a line in the cookie and then it would break right where I wanted it to.  I only used maybe the outside 1/4 of the cookie (so I got two 'walls' from each one chocolate wafer) and then just threw in inside in with the others to be crushed up for the dirt track. 

I then used a grass tip to pipe grass where the track wasn't.
I made some Checkered flags by using a black marker on white paper and then taping it onto a tooth pick.

My son had picked out some 'Cars' toys that we put on the cake. And that was pretty much it.  It was quite simple and took less time then I thought it would.

Top view 

View from the side 
I then added a candle for his age and a little cut out of the cardboard box the cars came in with his name to personalize it. 

Hope this helps you in any way :)

No comments:

Post a Comment